skewed background XP VirtualBox

for BotE Android (get that via Google Play Store) there's a option to get a Windows version >> here
Antworten
jmichael
Junior Kadett
Junior Kadett
phpbb forum styles

skewed background XP VirtualBox

Beitrag von jmichael »

When I run BotE under Windows XP in VirtualBox, some of the backgrounds -- the bits that look like the metal flashing around some displays -- are twisted 45 degrees clockwise. This did not happen when I ran directly from Windows 8.

I think it is related to the width of the graphics file being used: The left panel on the Galaxy screen looks fine. It uses a JPG file with a width which is divisible by 8. In the right panel on the Galaxy screen, and in the Build view of the System screen, the vertical strips of metal are tilted to the right, so they are now diagonal lines running from upper right to lower left. The JPG files for these two cases have widths which are not divisible by 8 (or even by 4; the width is 250).

I have not explored all screens within the game.

I tried replacing con_galaxyV3.jpg with the default.png I found in the root of the JAR file. The game then displays the image in the right panel of the Galaxy screen, with no twisting. On the other hand, it does choose to rotate the entire image clockwise 90 degrees -- maybe because default.png is wider than high to start with?

I suspect that at the point at which the image data is being copied to the screen, the number of bits on each line (including padding) is not the same as the number of bits the copying process is expecting. Since it looks like a 45 degree angle, I think it's just a one bit mismatch.

I don't know if the problem is in Windows XP, or in VirtualBox.
blotunga
Flottenkapitän
Flottenkapitän

Re: skewed background XP VirtualBox

Beitrag von blotunga »

Why do you need Virtualbox? I'm not sure what could happen there as I never tried to run it inside a VM, but on Windows 7 and 10 it works ok for me.
It can be that the skewed image is the result of wrong mipmapping, I had some issues on some android devices also where NPOT textures weren't generating propper mipmaps. You can try building the code yourself and in ResourceManager.java:1340 in the useMipMaps function return false always. This would at least test my theory.
jmichael
Junior Kadett
Junior Kadett

Beitrag von jmichael »

I don't remember why I used VirtualBox. I was probably trying to keep from accidentally cluttering my machine.

I tried BotE on a Windows XP machine. It looks fine.

I got close to trying your suggestion. It barfed looking for "troopstatlist.txt". I tried changing that to "troops.txt". It died reading the file.

Where do I find the "data" that corresponds to the source I downloaded from Sarkoniy.bitbucket?
blotunga
Flottenkapitän
Flottenkapitän

Beitrag von blotunga »

You need git with git LFS support. Then you can clone the repository properly. The data textfiles however are all in android/assets. When running in an IDE it's recommended to set the directory to run from to android/assets.
jmichael
Junior Kadett
Junior Kadett

Beitrag von jmichael »

TL;DR It didn't help.

I've been afraid to try git.

If by "directory to run from" you mean "Working Directory", I don't like the idea of pointing that to the middle of my source tree.

I think I got Netbeans to copy the entire bote-libgdx/android/assets directory to the root of the JAR file it builds. I'm pretty sure it was finally running my patched copy of resourceManager. I patched useMipMaps to always return false.

The background still displays what should be vertical strips of metal border as diagonal strips.

If anyone cares, I think the "renderer" string examined to decide whether to useMipMaps is "Chromium".

Thanks for your patience.
blotunga
Flottenkapitän
Flottenkapitän

Beitrag von blotunga »

I haven't tried it on netbeans, but with IntelliJ and Eclipse it works like that. Yes I meant working directory, but was having a lapsus and only on the phone so couldn't check :).
Otherwise you have to copy/symlink the files from android/assets into the working directory.
Antworten

Zurück zu „BotE Android (Windows version)“